How long has it been since you shopped around for lower-priced car insurance rates in Jersey City, NJ? Jersey City consumers have lots of choices when looking for affordable car insurance. They can either spend hours struggling with agents to get rate comparisons or save time using the internet to get rate quotes.
There are more efficient ways to compare car insurance rates so you're going to learn the best way to compare rates for a and locate the lowest price from both online companies and Jersey City agents.
The easiest way to get policy rate comparisons is to know the fact almost all companies allow for online access to provide you with free rate quotes. All consumers are required to do is give them rating details such as whether the vehicles are used for commuting, what you do for a living, how old drivers are, and your credit rating estimate. That rating data gets sent immediately to multiple insurance providers and they return quotes instantly.
To compare multiple company rates now, click here and complete the quick form.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Jersey City, NJ. If the list has multiple companies, it's highly recommended you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 2WD||$1,014||$507||$85|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Regular Cab||$1,538||$769||$128|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$1,996||$998||$166|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,282||$641||$107|
|Ford Explorer XLT AWD||$1,746||$873||$146|
|Ford F-150 FX2 2WD||$1,712||$856||$143|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,406||$703||$117|
|GMC Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$1,336||$668||$111|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,072||$536||$89|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,314||$657||$110|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,628||$814||$136|
|Kia Optima LX||$2,180||$1,090||$182|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,548||$774||$129|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,336||$668||$111|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,704||$852||$142|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,582||$791||$132|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$1,456||$728||$121|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and New Jersey minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can decrease or increase premium rates considerably.
Should you raise deductibles?
The chart below shows how different deductible levels and can increase or decrease Honda Accord insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The costs are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
When comparing auto insurance rates, the most common question is where should you set your physical damage deductibles. The comparison tables below can help show the costs and benefits of buying low and high coverage deductibles. The first table uses a $100 comprehensive and collision deductible and the second set of rates uses a $1,000 deductible.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$414||$746||$480||$28||$144||$1,837||$153|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$466||$880||$480||$28||$144||$2,023||$169|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$466||$1014||$600||$36||$180||$2,321||$193|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$466||$880||$480||$28||$144||$2,023||$169|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$466||$880||$480||$28||$144||$2,023||$169|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$520||$1014||$480||$28||$144||$2,211||$184|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$520||$1014||$480||$28||$144||$2,211||$184|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$230||$394||$480||$28||$144||$1,276||$106|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$258||$464||$480||$28||$144||$1,374||$115|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$258||$534||$600||$36||$180||$1,608||$134|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$258||$464||$480||$28||$144||$1,374||$115|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$258||$464||$480||$28||$144||$1,374||$115|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$288||$534||$480||$28||$144||$1,474||$123|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$288||$534||$480||$28||$144||$1,474||$123|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and New Jersey minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in specific zip code location which can decrease or increase insurance rates greatly.
Based on the above data, using a $100 deductible costs approximately $55 more each month or $660 each year than opting for the higher $1,000 deductible. Since you would pay $900 more if you file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to go at least 16 months between claim filings, you would save more money if you choose the higher deductible. The table below illustrates an example of how this determination is made.
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$174|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||- $119|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$55|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 - $100):||$900|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$900 / $55|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||16 months|
Car insurance discounts help lower rates
Companies do not advertise all their discounts very clearly, so we researched some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Jersey City car insurance online.
- Mature Driver Discount - Drivers over the age of 55 could receive a small discount on rates.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Insuring primary and secondary vehicles with the same car insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Clubs and Organizations - Having an affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Jersey City could trigger savings when shopping for car insurance.
- Distant Student - Older children who are attending college and don't have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Switch and Save Discount - Select insurance companies give a discount for switching to them prior to your current policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears it's possible to get free car insurance, you won't be that lucky.
A list of companies and their possible discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm discounts include student away at school, accident-free, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, and safe vehicle.
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online signing, homeowner, and good student.
- Progressive has savings for online quote discount, continuous coverage, good student, online signing, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife offers discounts for accident-free, claim-free, multi-policy, good driver, good student, and defensive driver.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for good student, driver training, multi-vehicle, safe driver, youthful driver, renewal discount, and multi-policy.
- GEICO may have discounts that include military active duty, good student, five-year accident-free, air bags, and multi-vehicle.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including drive less, teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, anti-lock brakes, homeowner, safe driver, and accident prevention training.
Check with all the companies which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply in Jersey City. To find providers who offer discounts in New Jersey, click here.
Choosing vehicle insurance is an important decision
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Jersey City, maintaining insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In New Jersey these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, more than likely the lender will force you to buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your car are without a doubt worth the cost, especially for larger claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying over $800 each year so it's recommended you shop around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Which is the best car insurance?
When quoting and choosing insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there really is no "best" method to buy coverage. Everyone's situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Can good grades get a discount?
- What does medical payments coverage do?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Is my trailer covered?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- What if a claim settlement is too low?
If you can't answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Auto insurance agents are professional risk managers
Some people still like to talk to a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you can get cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent. And providing support for local agencies is definitely important in Jersey City.
After completing this quick form, the quote information is submitted to companies in Jersey City who can give free rate quotes to get your business. There is no need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you. In the event you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, just search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
When searching for a reputable agency, there are a couple of different types of agents and how they work. Car insurance policy providers are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either type can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand how they are different since it could factor into which agent you choose.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents do not write with just one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. If they find a lower price, they can switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent. When comparing rates, you should always get insurance quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection. Most also have access to small regional insurance companies who may have lower rates.
Shown below are independent agents in Jersey City that may be able to give price quote information.
- Royale Insurance Agency
2184 John F. Kennedy Blvd - Jersey City, NJ 07305 - (201) 656-1800 - View Map
- New York Life Insurance: Ravi Balchand
209 Summit Ave - Jersey City, NJ 07304 - (201) 953-4806 - View Map
- Frenkel and Company
210 Hudson Street, Suite 601 - Jersey City, NJ 07302 - (201) 356-3400 - View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies are contracted to one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them sell on service rather than price. Some consumers prefer to use the same agent mainly due to the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agencies in Jersey City willing to provide price quote information.
- Joe Nachbaur - State Farm Insurance Agent
505 Central Ave - Jersey City, NJ 07307 - (201) 222-8866 - View Map
- Hemant Jiwnani - State Farm Insurance Agent
2770 John F Kennedy Blvd, FL-1 - Jersey City, NJ 07306 - (201) 653-1770 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Emad Soliman
844 Bergen Ave - Jersey City, NJ 07306 - (201) 332-6999 - View Map
Finding a good auto insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. A good agent in Jersey City will have answers to these questions.
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
Car insurance coverages explained
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can help you determine the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Comprehensive auto coverage
Comprehensive insurance covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a bird, falling objects and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The highest amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's not worth carrying full coverage.
This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to other people or property. It protects YOU against other people's claims, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see limits of 15/30/5 that means you have a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers claims such as court costs, repair bills for other people's vehicles and repair costs for stationary objects. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. New Jersey state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but it's recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/5 in New Jersey), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is very important. Frequently these limits are identical to your policy's liability coverage.
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your vehicle from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like colliding with another moving vehicle, damaging your car on a curb, sideswiping another vehicle, scraping a guard rail and rolling your car. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. It's also possible to raise the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for bills like dental work, surgery, doctor visits, nursing services and pain medications. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage